[SCA-Dance] Quadran Pavan

Alex Clark alexbclark at pennswoods.net
Tue Feb 12 11:25:34 EST 2008

At 06:03 PM 2/11/2008 +0000, rwalla at comcast.net wrote:
>Step left, step right, double left. Step left, step right, double back.

I think that the second half most likely ought to be right, left, and
double back with the right.

>Gets old fast, doesn't it?

No, it doesn't get old. It's old to begin with. It's supposed to be old. :-)

>Fellow dancers, I'm writing this to get your feedback. I have an idea to
>teach this dance in a way to make it less monotonous.

Sadly, that is an idea to teach a very different dance without necessarily
changing the name.

>The name quadran suggests a square or rectangular pattern to me. Instead
>of only going back and forth to make an I-shape, I propose to use
>single-single-double (whoa, a pavan set)

I wish that the person who came up with that phrase had not done so (or at
least that it had not gotten into the Known World Fakebook). It is
inaccurate. A set is "a single on one hand, and a single on the other
hand", or "two singles face to face". This sequence contains a double, so
it is not a set.

>to progress in other patterns.

This is a period idea, but the resulting figures tended not to be called
Pavanes. The best known is the set and turn. Others include the turns by
hands in Tinternell and the Old Alman. The popular slipping figure in
Gracca Amorosa is one of many variations on the same concept.

>For example, the couple's progress could form two squares (men to their
>left, women to their right). Men could step left twice, double forward and
>pivot, step left twice - meet with their partner, and double forward back
>to place (optional pivot at end).
>
>Then I thought, how about the men progress in a square before them (NW),
>and the women do likewise in a square behind them (SE)? Using compass
>directions, the Lady could step East twice, then double South (which would
>be a double back if they remain facing North), then step West twice, then
>double North to rejoin their partner.
>
>Then I thought, why limit this to squares? What about diamonds and
>lozenges? triangles, circles, and figure-eights?

It's been done. Mabel Dolmetsch's "pavan", done to the tune of the Earl of
Salisbury, is one example. It was done again, this time much like what you
describe above, by Dr. Ingrid Brainard, as described in _Practise for
Dauncinge_ by Patri Pugliese and Joseph Casazza. Another of Brainard's
Pavane variations was introduced into the SCA back in the early years, and
it has been named after the Barony of Carolingia.

With all these innovations, it is a wonder that anyone ever does period
Pavanes any more.

--
Henry of Maldon/Alex Clark