[SCA-Dance] l'Amoroso a la Thea

tmcd at panix.com tmcd at panix.com
Sun Apr 13 16:45:31 EDT 2008

On Sun, 13 Apr 2008, White, John <john.white at drexel.edu> wrote:
>tmcd at panix.com wrote:
> >I was in Lady Thea's class at Terp.  I don't recall a detail in her
> >l'Amoroso:
> >
> >    Lord: 3 Contrapassi with a Rip on the last.  mVt
> >    Lady: Riv
> >    Lord: Riv
> >    Both: Riv
> >    Lord: 2 pive, slow Dbl
>
> However, the steps above are in neither of the manuscripts in
> AWSmith.  If you have any further documentation of where Lady Thea
> got her reconstruction - manuscript used, reason for her using
> contrapassi (none appear in either mms of Amoroso, or even in
> Amoroso for 3), multiple reverences (perhaps you could interpret
> "and the woman responds to him" as the woman doing a riverentia in
> another measure, but there's no further instruction that asks them
> both to riverentia together.

Oddly enough, it wasn't on Thea of Jaravellir's main handout, but it
was in her supplemental handout "Apparently, German Women Were
Gauche":

    The dances are in a manuscript sent in 1517 by Johannes
    Cochl{a:}us (in Bologna) to Willibald Pirckheimer in N{u:}rnberg
    for his daughters.  (Cochl{a:}us was tutor to Pirckheimer's
    nephews.)  The MS is transcribed and translated in Appendix II (of
    Vol. II) of A. William Smith's Fifteen-Century Dance and Music.
    The MS describes the dances as Italian and provides chreographic
    desciptions; there are a total of eight dances in the manuscript.
    The first dance in the MS may be a bassadance.  It is titled der
    Spanier, and is described as being composed entirely of doubles.
    The remaining seven dances appear to correlate with dances from
    treatises by Dominico or Ambrosio/Ebreo although the degree of
    correspondence between the MS and the Italian sources varies.

In the back of the handout is what appears to be a photocopy of page
326.  What appears to be a transcription of the German original is on
the left, and an English translation is on the right.  The German site
is headed "N{u:}rnberg, Germanisches Nationalmuseum HS 8842 / GS 1589
[lines 39-57]".  It starts

        It begins with eight fast ba{ss}duppeln.

so I gather that "fast ba{ss}duppeln" means "pive".  The operative
words are

    darnach get er vor ir mit 2 contra pa{ss} end einem mit einem
    Repre{ss}

        Then he goes ahead [vor ir = of her] with 2 contrapa{ss} and
        one with a repre{ss}.

    da kert er sich mit umb

        turning with it.

    und th{u:} offters gegeneinannder referenntz

        They perform referentz [offters = several] toward each other

    darnach tanntzt er z{u:} ir mit 2 ba{ss}duppl behennt und einen
    lancksam

        Then he dances toward her with 2 fast ba{ss}duppeln and a slow
        one.

My apologies for any transcription errors: I had the document on my
lap and had to keep my eye on it to keep from losing my place, so I
couldn't refer to the screen while typing.

Danihel Lindum Colonia
Tim McDaniel; Reply-To: tmcd at panix.com