[SCA-Dance] A question about setting up a ball

White, John john.white at drexel.edu
Fri Oct 12 19:02:22 EDT 2007

>From:  Lori
>

> Any suggestions on how many dances to put on a set when there
>is no teaching between dances to make the set 25 to 30 minutes?
>
>Gytha Oggsdottir

You've got the perfect measure right there - if you've got the tunes
in a form to put them on CD already, just check out how long they are
and arrange them appropriately, with a few minutes between for the
sets to change up.

The real problem with "ballpark" figures is that dances vary wildly
in length.  Your average ECD is about 2 to 3 minutes, whereas you
could do a bransle for 5.  A nice long round of Petit Vriens could take
4 minutes, while Anello might be 2.

But as I said, since you're using recorded music, you know exactly
how long each  dance is, so there goes the guess work!

          \\Dafydd Cyhoeddwr