[SCA-BMDL] Salve Accolens! A Motto for the Debatable Lands

Paul Placeway paul.placeway at gmail.com
Fri Nov 15 23:12:55 EST 2019

Speaking only for myself (of course), I also took Her Excellency’s missive
as just as Baron Liam desires: a suggestion.  If one likes it, one should
use it; if not then not.  Perhaps it could be improved, though in this case
shortening it would be difficult, and I happen to think that adding words
would subtract weight and impact.

I happen to like this suggestion.

Other mottos are possible.  I've discovered that should one wave a yellow
towel over ones head and cry "woo woo woo" at the side of the Battlefield,
*everyone* knows who one is rooting for and why.

As for the question of legitimacy: back in the day when I was Baron, there
were certain things that Genevieve and I did, feeling that they were the
right thing to do as well as falling within the bounds of the obligations
and consequent authority of the Baronage.  Some people agreed with our
reasoning for what was "in bounds" and some did not.  And *every* *one* of
our successors have made such decisions; some of which I've agreed with and
some not.  But having retired, I feel very strongly that Their *Current*
Excellencies must have the same leeway that we were afforded when we held
that responsibility in trust for the populous of the Barony-Marche.

I think that heraldic display (both visual *and* audible), and encouraging
a level of comradery, good feeling, and right action amongst the populous
of the Barony *absolutely* falls within the leadership purview that is both
desired and required of a sitting Baron.  I see no problem with either the
suggestion, or of Her Excellency using her leadership position to encourage
us to be friendly to each other.

À vous santé chers voisins,  --Tofi (OL, OP, etc.)
4th Baron of the Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands (long retired)