[SCA-BMDL] BMDL Scriptorium: The Next Generation!

Kameshima Zentarou Umakai cadell at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 18:26:18 EST 2016

Unto the good gentles of the Barony-Marche, greetings from Kameshima
Zentarō Umakai and Isabel Fleuretan!

As some of you may know, we were graciously offered and have accepted the
responsibility of hosting the Baronial Scriptorium, a place for new and
veteran calligraphers, illuminators and wordsmiths to meet, discuss, learn
and practice the scribal arts that are so well venerated in our Barony and
Kingdom.

Before proceeding, we would like to thank Meesteress Odriana and THL Kieran
for hosting, maintaining and growing the Scriptorium for the past several
years. Their guidance and leadership have been well appreciated by the
scribal community, and we hope to live up to the high standard that they
have set.

Also, as many of you know, Isabel is expecting the birth of our child, and
her projected due date is the beginning of May. This, unfortunately, means
that scheduling for the first few months will be a bit dicey! But we ask
that you stick with us and understand the last-minute nature of such things.

We will be hosting Scriptorium starting at 7 PM on the THIRD WEDNESDAY of
each month, starting this month (the 16th), at our house in Glenshaw (North
Hills). Our address is available in the Dark Pages, or send me an email and
I will send it to you personally.

We will start this month with "Attavanti Made Easy" taught by THL Rachel
Delicieux. Easy shading and design tricks to get those perfect "mirror
image" acanthus leaves and jewels to POP off the page. If you can free-hand
a few acanthus leaves, draw a circle and can make a thin line with a brush,
you already have all the skills you need. Please bring your own paints and
brushes, as well as a fine lead mechanical pencil.  By the end of the class
everyone will be well on their way to producing a scroll blank in the style
of the panels found in the artwork of Attavante degli Attavanti, with the
knowledge needed to finish said blank on their own.

Again, that's Wednesday, March 16th, starting at 7pm.

For April (assuming things do not get suspended on account of baby), we
will hold an open roundtable on all things scribal, including what YOU
would like to see in a Scriptorium! Do you want open project nights?
Classes? Small-group workshops? We can make all these things happen, but we
would like your input! It doesn't matter if you've never picked up a brush
or pen, or if you've been creating scrolls for 30 years, all are welcome.
This is YOUR Scriptorium; we just give you the space to play and learn. :-)
Because of a previous scheduling commitment, we will be starting that at
7:30 PM on Wednesday, April 20th.

Upcoming Scriptoria will be listed and announced on the BMDL Scribal
Activities page, http://debatablelands.org/activities/scribal.php.

In Honor and Service,

Kameshima
​​