[SCA-BMDL] Another experiment: SLACK

Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie ishiyama at ee0r.com
Sat Feb 27 09:59:23 EST 2016

Along the lines of increasing communication and the urgency of the Internet
age, I have created a Slack team for the BMDL that we can use for "instant
message" type chatting.

What is Slack? It is a chat system run by a company, but it is free for
small groups to use and the only personal information necessary to
establish an account is an email address. You can access discussions
through a web client; and there are desktop clients for MacOS, Windows, and
Linux; as well as mobile clients for iOS and Android. I believe all these
clients are free.

Why use Slack? Slack was created to help teams communicate. It was mostly
intended for software development teams, so it has a lot of geeky options
that make it convenient for some things. The company I work for started
using it internally, but it's easy to connect a client to multiple teams at
the same time, so I decided that since I am running a client anyway, it
might be handy to have some non-work people to chat with as well.

Is this official or obligatory? No. No, no, no. No. This is as un-official
as the Facebook group is, and probably ten times as optional. It might just
be handy to have. It should not be considered a private conversation.
Anything you send to chat is about as public as anything else on the
Internet. I figure it might be good for time sensitive things like traffic
warnings on event days, organizing activities during Pennsic, maybe getting
quick answers to A&S questions, or just random chit-chat.

How do you join? Access to Slack is not restricted, but you have to be
invited to join the BMDL "team" by somebody who is already on it. Right now
there are six people on it, and any one of us can invite you. I'm one, and
if you send me email from the address that you want to use with Slack, I
will send you an invite.

--
Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie roku-i
(mka: Elliott C. "Eeyore" Evans)