[SCA-BMDL] St. Crispins Day Arts and Science Competition

Megan O'Shea the.wrong.megan at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 15:12:45 EDT 2015

Good Afternoon Beautiful Barony!
This past weekend I was given the honor of creating and running a new Arts
and Sciences competition at Agincourt.  The competition was a success thanks
to the amazing artisans and supporters throughout our Kingdom and I would
like to take this moment to recognize those who volunteered their time to
support the arts and sciences.
I would like to thank Lady Astridr Vikaskegg for spending much of her day by
my side, helping to check in entries, and helping me to tabulate scores, as
well as for creating the beautiful scroll for our overall winner.  I would
also like to thank The Honorable Lady Cassandra Matiis for donating
delicious bacon for our winners, and for again helping me throughout the
day.  I would also like to thank Lord Markus Skalpr Grimmson for donating
his time and his artwork for a prize for the winners, and in helping me
decide to run another AS competition.  Importantly I would also like to
thank Mistress Hildarun and Master Emrys for helping me organize the
competition and encouraging me in the months leading to the event.  I would
also like to thank their Excellencies Liam and Constance for encouraging the
arts within the barony and without and ensuring that there would be space at
Agincourt for the competition.

We were blessed with 25 entries from around the Kingdom, and without entries
their would be no competition.  The entries were beautiful and the entrants
ranged from experienced Laurels to newer members of the Society looking
forward to feedback and encouragement.  I am grateful to say that we had
several judges who donated their time to provide feedback; Master Emrys,
Master Tofi, Mistress Genevieve, Sir Wulfbrand, Mistress Rosamund, Mistress
Myfanwy, Mistress Ysabell, Master William Paris, The Honorable Lady
Constance, The Honorable Lady Cassandra Matiis, The Honorable Lady Fiora,
Lady Ottilige, Lady Lijsbet, Lady Fuji’na, and Lady Astridr.  I would also
like to thank the three youngest commenters; Lady Alethea, Alva, and Ylva
for graciously providing each entrant with positive feedback on their work.

For those of you who did not enter this year I am hoping to host this
competition again at the next Agincourt.  Scores again will be tabulated on
the basis of the Aesthetics of the piece, the Authenticity of the piece, the
Complexity of the piece, the Creativity of the piece, and the overall
Workmanship.  Each of those categories will be rated by a judge from 1 to
10, and in the case of multiple scores those scores will be averaged.
Documentation is important, and this competition provides entrants the
ability to have their documentation style reviewed by the judges without it
impacting their overall scores as the scores provided for documentation will
only be used in the case of a tie.

For this first St. Crispins Arts and Sciences Competition, Lord Silvester
Burchardt won the over all St. Crispins Challenge for his beautiful brocaded
weave (which received a nearly perfect score!).  Within the Laurels
category, Mistress Arianna won for her beautiful black worked Fleur scroll.
In the Journeyman category The Honorable Lord Ishiyama won for his beautiful
Suoh.  Within the Novice category, Lady Ceindrich won for her beautiful
replication of the Eleanor of Toledo stockings.  And finally in the
Tenderfoot category Lady Abatissa won for her delicious sekanjabin.

Thank you again to all of the entrants, judges and everyone who stopped by
to enjoy the beautiful entries!

In service,
السيدة سمية مشرفة آل غازي
للفرح منه هو مقدسH