[SCA-BMDL] BMDL Youth Combat Practice this Sunday

Karen Kasper arianna_wyn at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 26 14:16:54 EDT 2012

Greetings to all youth fighters and their parents!

BMDL youth fighting practice is scheduled to occur this Sunday, October 28. HOWEVER, as Baron Liam pointed out, the weather forecast is pretty wretched: 80% chance of rain and a high of 44 degrees. In addition, the collision of a cold front coming from the west with Hurricane Sandy coming from the south could make things really ugly, especially since our fighter practice site is in a floodplain. Please keep an eye on the email list and/or the Barony's Facebook group. If other martial practices are canceled, you can assume youth combat is, too, though I'll certainly post to the list.

As promised, I have details about Tiberius' Roman-themed tournament for the Baronial Youth Combat Champion's Tourney at Agincourt on November 3. I hope you'll all be there!

1. Each fighter will fight every other fighter four times, once each with the following Roman-style weapons: short spear, sword and shield, dagger, and florentine. Fighters do not have to use the same weapons as their opponents in any given bout, but they must use each weapons form once against that opponent. Note: I plan to have several short spears available, so you don't need to build your own between now and the event, but do bring all of your normal weapons. Also note that while there is no category for great weapon, you are free to use polearm or great sword as one of your florentine weapons.

2. In Roman gladiatorial combat, the Emperor had the power of life and death over a vanquished combatant, giving a thumbs up or thumbs down to indicate his choice. In a slightly more civilized version of that custom, if a fighter loses an arm or leg during a bout, the Baron and Baroness may choose to honor that fighter's skill, ferocity, and/or chivalry by giving them back the lost arm or leg, once per fighter over the course of the tourney. Their Excellencies will call Holds from the sidelines to announce these reprieves.

3. Fighters will receive a point for each win. The fighter with the most points will be the overall winner of the tourney. If there's a tie, we'll do a best of three fights finals round. The Baron and Baroness will use their own criteria to choose the champion, so winning does not guarantee you the office of Baronial Youth Combat Champion! I recommend chivalry and courtesy as usual, only more so.

4. If there are any Division 1 fighters in the tourney, we will deal with bouts between them and D3 fighters by having the D3 defend only, for 30 seconds. If the D1 can kill the D3 before the time runs out, the D1 wins.

Thanks to Tiberius for coming up with such an interesting and fun tourney format.

YOUTH COMBAT PRACTICE SCHEDULE

Oct. 28 - practice at Washington Blvd., weather permitting

Nov. 4 - NO PRACTICE, youth champion tourney at Agincourt on Saturday Nov. 3rd!
Nov. 11 - practice at Harvest Revel Barony meeting, at Byron & Ariella's castle in Wexford, more info to come
Nov. 18 - practice moves indoors for the winter, to the Pittsburgh Chinese Church in the North Hills
Nov. 25 - NO PRACTICE, Thanksgiving weekend

Arianna