[SCA-BMDL] Bardic sing along!

Kathryn Kane kathrynkane at mac.com
Thu Mar 8 10:20:20 EST 2012

Thanks to everyone who helped out singing along last night!  For your further study and enjoyment:

'Bacche Bene Venies' is the name of the piece, it's also #200 in the Carmina Burana set of songs.  The music is available in the fabulous Medieval Songs and Dance Volume 1 (available at http://www.istanpitta.com/cds_books/).  My favorite recording so far is by Philip Picket and the New London Consort, in Sinners & Saints: The Ultimate Medieval and Renaissance Music Collection.

The entire text of this version is available at http://www.lyrics74.com/PHILIP-PICKETT-AND-THE-NEW-LONDON-CONSORT-BACHE,-BENE-VENIES-LYRICS/483767/.

Some YouTube versions:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKPYEoS7KtU&list=FLQwt4XTv5yDdU2PxtaQkYpg&index=1&feature=plpp_video
(this one is the spoken text, spoken in Classic Latin as opposed to the Church Latin pronunciation that we used last night, thanks to Robert for reminding me that I had forgotten to mention my choices in presenting this.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QBWsnxe1l9w&list=FLQwt4XTv5yDdU2PxtaQkYpg&index=2&feature=plpp_video
(Karaoke version!)
There are more out there, I regret that I could not again locate the cute Canadian boys singing this in a bar.

The chorus that we learned:

Istud vinum, bonum vinum,
vinum generosum,
reddit virum curialem,
probum, animosum.

Any mistakes that I made are all my own, and not due to my fine sources.  I'll have all 13 verses down for Pennsic.

yours in service,
Kathryn
soon to be known as Balag bint Babaka al-Darwish ibn al-Qayna, call me 'Bugga'