[SCA-BMDL] BMDL Youth Fighter Practice this weekend

Karen Kasper arianna_wyn at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 26 21:59:26 EST 2012

Greetings to all Youth Fighters and their parents!

BMDL youth fighting practice be held this Sunday, Jan. 29, from 2-5pm at the Pittsburgh Chinese Church in the North Hills at 8711 Old Perry Highway, Pittsburgh, PA 1523.

Parking:  Park in the down-slope lot off of Highland Rd, walk around the side of the building, enter the first door, and walk up the stairs to the room on the 3rd floor.  Helpful picture at http://tinyurl.com/72mmqpc
  (entrance at the green arrow)

We'll have loaner gear for any new fighters who need it.

Remember to bring a water bottle - the fountain on the floor where we practice is not working.

The BMDL Youth Combat practice schedule for the next month is as follows:

Jan. 29 - Practice at the Chinese Church

Feb. 5 - Practice at Marshall Middle School in conjunction with the Regional Muster! Rattan weapons-making workshop!

Feb. 12 - Practice at the Chinese Church
Feb. 19 - Tentative - Practice at Regional Muster in Butler PA, with weapons-making
Feb. 26 - Practice at the Chinese Church

REGARDING RATTAN: I now have several sword lengths of youth-diameter rattan (thank you Baron Langdon for helping us plane down adult-size pieces!). At the Regional Muster on Feb. 5, we will have a weapons-making workshop for youth fighters. I will provide one piece of FREE rattan to each youth fighter who can attend, thanks to the generosity of several people who donated rattan lengths (first come, first served, when it's gone, it's gone). Please either bring your own pipe foam and duct tape, or plan on paying me about $5 per sword for enough to pad and tape your weapon. I'll also provide each youth fighter with an instruction sheet to take home so you'll know how to make your own rattan weapons in the future.

There are plans for more youth-dimension rattan to be delivered in time for the Regional Muster in Sunderoak (Butler, PA) on Feb, 19th. That rattan will cost approximately $11 per 9 ft. stave, since it is being bought from a supplier in the Middle Kingdom. Thank you to Magister Calvert and Mistress Jenna of the Rhydderich Hael for arranging purchase and delivery of of that youth rattan!

I hope to see you all this Sunday!

Arianna