[SCA-BMDL] BMDL Youth Fighter Practice, DEMO on Oct, 8, and RATTAN weapons update

Karen Kasper arianna_wyn at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 30 10:56:55 EDT 2011

Greetings to all Youth Fighters and their parents!

BMDL youth fighting practice will be held this Sunday from 2-5pm at the Washington Blvd. site. The weather forecast is for Sunday to be in the 40s and rainy, so please keep an eye on the email list for a possible last minutes cancellation or change of venue to the Chinese Church. That decision is made by the Knight Marshall, not by me, so I won't have that information until/unless he posts it.

Practices will continue every Sunday from 2-5 pm unless otherwise announced until we move indoors for the winter in November.

We have been asked to participate in a demo to be held in Aspinwall on Saturday, October 8th. Details were posted on the BMDL and Steltonwald lists this morning; I have copied and pasted them at the bottom of this email for your convenience.
REGARDING RATTAN WEAPONS: This week I had an email conversation with Mistress Jenna, the Kingdom Youth Combat Marshall, about procuring more shaved rattan. She asked that we hold off for now, as there is no final decision about switching from PVC to shaved rattan yet. She asked all interested parents and marshalls to meet with her at Agincourt, and bring any rattan weapons you have so we can discuss our experiences with them and what construction techniques we're using. Rattan weapons are still considered EXPERIMENTAL in AEthelmearc. Be sure to bring PVC weapons to Agincourt, as we don't know yet whether rattan will be permitted in the tourney.

REMINDER: the AEthelmearc Kingdom Youth Combat Champion's Tourney will be held at Agincourt on October 22nd. Those who attend the most practices between now and then will have a competitive edge!
I hope to see you all on Sunday!

Arianna

Come one, come all! The Borough of Aspinwall has generously invited us to hold a demonstration of our medieval activities at their "Fall in the Wall" celebration on Saturday, October 8th. We need fighters of every kind (heavy, youth and rapier) to showcase our martial skills. We'd also like to share any Arts skills we can, so if you sing, dance, play an instrument, spin, or do any other activity that translates well to demos, please join us. The community celebration runs from 11am to 4pm, but we only ask a couple hours of your time. If you’re new to demos, please join us in garb for the day and distribute print materials to the interested public.

Aspinwall is just across the Highland Park Bridge from our Sunday practice site, and the borough has generouslyoffered a donation to the Barony, as well as refreshments for the volunteers that day. Here is an excellent opportunity for a recruitment demo, and I hope you can come out for just a little while to show the world what a fun place the SCA is. To volunteer, and for more details, contact: