[SCA-BMDL] Aspinwall Demo Final Instructions

L.J. Rodriguez rufinasca at gmail.com
Fri Oct 7 15:22:43 EDT 2011

This info is for those people attending the demo tomorrow in Aspinwall.
Please come join us! if you aren't coming, just ignore this :)

Greetings all!
herein follows information for the demo tomorrow in Aspinwall. Please
read....so you know where we are and how to find us :)

please, come join us!!!
if you have not told me you are attending, drop me an email or call. ***you
can still come if you if you don't contact me***  it just makes it easier
for us at setup to know how many people will be there.

my phone number is 412-721-5028. put it in your phone now, so that if you to
call me...you'll have it. you can also call cathain. his number is
412-225-7666.

TIMES:  the demo runs from 11-4.
Setup is before 10:30 - starts around 9:30.
we are in a long alley (much nicer than it sounds ;) and that alley will be
blocked to cars after 11. it's not a problem to show up later, just
understand that your things will have to be walked into the demo site.
if you have heavy stuff, get there before 10:30 :)

PLACE (Directions):  Aspinwall.
To see it on a map, preferably google earth style, use "fox's pizza den, 17
brilliant ave, aspinwall pa" as your search term.  you will see an unnamed
crooked alley right before & behind the fox's pizza den, on the left side of
brilliant ave. that ONE WAY alley is the event site. on google earth there
is a big green field...we are going to be directly behind this. it is no
longer a field - it is a 5th/3rd bank. fifth third. 5/3. strange name.

Aspinwall is on rt 28, near the highland park bridge. from pgh, take rt 28
north, get off at the aspinwall exit. the exit will look like you are going
over the highland park bridge, but it will loop you around under it. go up
old rt 28, called freeport road. you will pass a new bank called 5th/3rd
bank on your left, note the location. you will see a railroad trestle on
your right, and a green clock on a post on your left. the green clock is on
brilliant ave, turn left. the turn into the alleyway is IMMEDIATELY after
you turn onto brilliant ave! turn left. take the right turn in the alley
WIDE or you won't make it around the bend...  come in and we'll get you
unloaded. (don't try to come in from the other end....it's ONE WAY :)

PARKING: in the alley for unloading. cars will be out of the alley by 10:45.

we have been told that it's ok to park at the bank.  there are spaces across
the back of the parking lot and some along the sides. if we have more cars
than spaces we will judiciously park ourselves in. DO NOT JUMP OVER THE
FENCE BEHIND THE BANK. we can hand things over it, but i'd prefer not to
break the new fence. (fence jumpers may become pells ;) there is a sidewalk
to the right of the bank that leads directly back to the demo area. this
sidewalk contains a small set of stairs.

WHAT TO BRING:
BANNERS!!!  please, if you have any sort of banner, bring it. we can hang
them on the fence and make it look nice.
CHAIR - bring a chair to sit on!
Something to display would be more than welcome. :)  we have some weapons
coming, some 'japanese stuff', some spices, and a string activity. i've got
a few folding tables, and hopefully will have enough tables to handle all
the things we have.
Aspinwall is supposed to be providing us with some drinks and food - this
may be water and pizza, i'm not sure. you may want to bring a snack or some
water of your own. up to you.
BANNERS!!!

MISC:
we are allowed to use the bathroom at the fox's pizza den. you may want to
change there, or you may be able to change in one of the display tents we
will have up.
it is supposed to be 80 tomorrow, dress accordingly. but also please dress
nicely. if you have a tin hat...please wear it :)
FYI - fighters will probably be fighting on a gravel surface.

INTERACTING WITH THE PUBLIC:

OUR 3 MAIN GOALS with any demo are:

1) *Present the SCA to the public in a POSITIVE light.* This means don't
talk about the swimming hole at pennsic, don't talk about how many times
Bear has broken his fingers, don't show off your bruises ;)  We want people
to be impressed with how interesting and SAFE we are, not how weird we are
;)   (They can learn that later ;)

2) *Make sure that the public enjoys having us there.* This means be
FRIENDLY & nice, and talk to the people who are standing around watching us.
Please don't just talk to your friends. WORK THE CROWD. We want to get
people interested in doing what we are doing and we can't do that if we just
ignore them.

3) *Get people interested in doing what we are doing.* Yes, I already said
that. It's IMPORTANT.  The SCA can always use some new members. DIRECT
PEOPLE TO THE  INFORMATIONAL HANDOUTS NEAREST YOUR SECTION OF THE DEMO if
they seem interested in us...please. :)    Ask the person if they would like
a handout. Give them one. Ask them to give us contact info. Invite them to
drop into fighter practice. Invite them to the next event. Be friendly, yet
not creepy ;)

Ask people where they are from. Make sure they know the SCA isn't just in
Pittsburgh...just in case someone from far away has wandered into the
Aspinwall street fair - ya never know ;)

PLEASE don't say "If you have any questions I'm over here."   Try saying:
"Can I explain...."  or "Are you interested in..."  instead.   It's much
more friendly  :)   PLEASE try to get people to give us contact info!  if
someone really seems interested, you can always pass them along to me for
more info.

i hope i haven't forgotten anything...

if you have any questions/problems/etc, call me!!!  thank you for coming out
and supporting the barony!!

rufina