[SCA-BMDL] Newcomers' Meeting, and Musings

Krista Traini hildasca at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 20 16:04:33 EDT 2010

So we have this Barony Meeting on Thursday September 2nd, 7pm, At the University Center (close, free parking in a garage) on CMU's campus in the Peter/Wright/McKenna Room (2nd Floor).  It's our annual Newcomers' Meeting.

When I was a Freshman at Pitt, I went to the Activities Fair.  I came upon a table with two guys sitting there in funny clothes, which I recognized as medieval, even then.  “Cool,” I thought.  I took a pamphlet and wandered away.  When I got back to my dorm room, I looked at the pamphlet, called “Forward Into the Past”.   It explained medieval re-creation the SCA way – based on chivalry and honor, with kingdoms, knights in shining armor, heraldry, pageantry.   “Awesome! I want to do this,” I thought.  So that weekend, I went home, dragged my mom to the library, found a (crappy, I know now) book about medieval clothes, bought some blue polyester in two shades for an under dress, and gold lamee for a tabard-thingy, and had my mom sew it.  I went to my first event in Schenley Park, where there was a class on period gaming, a class on hats, a bardic circle, and food like I’d never seen.  Everyone was dressed up, and I felt like I’d stepped into a fairy tale. Some friendly girls lent me their cloak to sit on.  “I really like this,” I thought.  So I went to dance practice, which was loud and exciting and fun and easy, and where people laughed and quoted the Monty Python and the Princess Bride.  And they flirted with me and kissed my hand.  “Yes,” I thought. “These people…these are my people.”

Those first few weeks of my exposure to the SCA were full of connections and fun and growing affection.  The girls who lent me their cloak are my best friends to this day.  I dragged some guy I met to the dance practice and married him seven years later.  I now camp at Pennsic with some of the people that helped write the pamphlet that so interested me at the fair.  That beginning in September 1997 built the foundations of cherished friendships, an amazing expansion of knowledge and experiences, huge personal growth, and a hell of a lot of fun.  And still going…and still learning…and still having a hell of a lot of fun, 13 years later.

So here we are, at yet another September, and the Freshmen are filing in to the campuses, away from everything they’ve known, and looking to try new things. Hopefully we’ll lure them to our September Barony/Newcomers’ Meeting on Sept 2nd.  Some of them, some time down the road, could be your best friends, your colleagues, your campmates, your spouses, your champions, your king or queen…. So I’m asking you, the people of the greatest Barony in the Knowne World, what can you do to make those connections for the people coming to the Newcomers’ Meeting on Sept 2nd?  And beyond.  How can you help form their Dream?

In Levitate et Caritate,
Hilda, Seneschale