[SCA-BMDL] Seeking youth fighters and other youth to help at AEthelmearc Crown Tourney

Karen Kasper arianna_wyn at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 27 21:01:45 EDT 2010

Greetings good gentles!

As you may know, the Debatable Lands is hosting Crown Tournament on May 8, which is a little under two weeks. To help the tournament go smoothly, we will need List Runners. Since one of the principals of the Youth Combat program is service, we would really love to have runners from the Youth Combat program perform this role. However, any older children who would like to serve as List Runners would be very welcome.

What does a List Runner do? They carry cards from the table where Mistress Karana, the Minister of the Lists (MOL), is organizing the tournament into each list and hand them to the herald, so the herald and marshall know who the combatants for each bout are. After a bout is over, they carry the cards with the winners marked on them back to the list table, and get the next set of cards to take back out to the herald.

Being a List Runner at Crown Tourney is a great way to get to see some really exciting fights up close. Crown Tourney attracts the best fighters from around the Kingdom. Remember that the tourney winner and his or her consort become our next Prince and Princess, and eventually King and Queen! To be a List Runner, you should be:

- At least 10 years old
- Responsible and able to pay attention to what's going on around you
- Able to respond quickly and follow instructions from the MOL, Herald and Marshal
- Available to spend the entire afternoon near the lists, even when not being a List Runner, so you can take over from another List Runner who needs a break
- Safe by not entering the part of the list where the fighting happens
- Safe by staying out of the fighters' way, since they can't see very well with their helmets on (even more so than most Youth Fighters, since adult helmets usually have smaller eye slots than the hockey helmets that many youth wear)
- Safe by wearing solid toe shoes or sneakers. No sandals, we don't want your toes getting squished if a fighter accidentally steps on you!

There will be four lists. We would like to have at least 8 List Runners so each one can be assigned to a single list and serve in shifts, hopefully of one or two hours at a time.

The tourney begins at 1 pm and could last as long as 4 or 5 hours if there are a lot of combatants.

Please let me know if you or your child is interesting in serving as a List Runner at Crown Tourney. While we are particularly interested in kids participating in the Youth Combat program, any tween or teen kids who would like to assist are welcome!

Thank you for your service. We look forward to having lots of youth fighters assisting at Crown Tournament!

Arianna of Wynthrope