[SCA-BMDL] Mi no Hi Sewing

Sir Koredono koredono at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 18:07:16 EST 2009

On Jan 19, 2009, at 2:03 PM, Larry & Colleen Kardasz wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Because of the great response we have had for the Japanese sewing, we
> are going to have it at the Economy Grange, no street address, but use
> the church next door, 2800 Conway Wallrose Road, Baden PA 15005, for
> the map program address.  We will be sewing on Sunday Jan, 25 starting
> about 11am.  There is no furnace at the grange right now, but we do
> have heaters, still dress warm.
>
> Some have offered to bring sewing machines, if you would like, that
> would be great.  Other things, scissors, pins, straight edge ruler and
> chalk will be helpful.  For material, a kosode (basic shirt) 3 yards
> should be good, and for hakama (pants) about 5 yards.

Not to step on Alessandra's toes on this gahtering, but I would
recommend more like 3.5 yards for kosode (mid-thigh length), 4 yds is
better (just in case), 5 yds for floor-length, and 4 yds for hakama
should be enough; this is for persons about my size (~6' 200#) and
within some reasonable range thereof (5' 7" 150# - 6' 3" 300#)

> Solid, or small repeating patterns and/or small geometric shapes work
> best.  Cotton, linen or silk,
> but I would suggest for beginning cotton or linen.  The quilting
> department at JoAnn's does have some good prints.
>
> As with most things, food is welcome, and if people so want, we can
> make it a pot luck type thing and sew into the evening.  BYOB.
>
> Any other questions, please let me know.
>
> Alessandra

Sir Koredono