[SCA-BMDL] BMDL Barony Meeting Wednesday September 10

Pam Bolkovac pmb_pa at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 5 00:28:46 EDT 2008

I agree with She'erah.  Last year, you could watch the newcomers' eyes glaze over and see them start to fidget 20 minutes in. Each newcomer is probably interested in one, maybe two activities to start. Yet, the way the meeting was run, we bored them with information they aren't interested in.  Since we're in Porter 100, maybe we could list the active guilds and practices on the board along with contact info and other relevant info. Something like:
Fencing Practice - Sundays, Washington Blvd. Rides and loaner equipment available Call  Charles at #
etc.
And then say something at during that meeting like "The contacts or their representatives  will be in front of the hall after the meeting for newcomers to talk to."

That way newcomers can focus in what they are interested in now without being subjected to 40 minutes of information that doesn't matter to them.

And as Ts'vee'a pointed out there is an event in three weeks, we should focus on that as upcoming activity that people would be interested.  It's something active and fun.  We're dealing with college students, primarily freshman who are probably overwhelmed with the amount of school work they are facing.  They are looking for a fun activity to help de-stress.  A group that is focusing on research and more book-work will be a turn off.  To get them hooked, we need to focus on the social activities we offer.  If we do that, then the research interests will come later.

Cassandra