[SCA-BMDL] BMDL Patterns

muirgens at aol.com muirgens at aol.com
Wed Jun 18 12:43:13 EDT 2008

My understanding is what Hrefna said.

The Laurel Wreath implies that you ARE the arms depicted (eg that you are the baron/baroness/King/Queen, etc.) or that here is where you can find the barony/kingdom, etc. (as in a field banner or camp banner on the baronial encampment).
When you take a position such as Baron, Baroness, Prince, Princess, King, Queen, you stop using your personal arms and take on the arms of the location that you now represent.  Once you step down, you revert to your personal arms.  Just as one would not paint the kingdom arms on their shield or put it on their garb unless they were on the throne, baronial arms (with Laurel wreath) are reserved for the sitting baron and baroness and the barony itself as an entity (not the individuals in it). Just think "L'etat c'est moi" in this case ("I am the state").  Remember that in period, landed nobility were often referred to as the name of the land they were in charge of (such as "Exeter" or "Northumberland" -- see Henry V).

Populace badges, such as the plain comet (no wreath) as Hrefna described or the white escarbuncle at the kingdom level, are free to be used by anyone who wants to identify themselves as part of that group.  So by wearing a badge or putting it on your clothes you are saying "I belong to this place".  It's like painting your face with the team colors for the game (except WAY cooler in my opinion).

So the right thing to do if a person is interested in identifying with the barony by putting a symbol on his or her clothing is to use the populace badge (no wreath), not the full baronial arms (yes wreath).  One might also make a banner with the populace badge (no wreath) to say "we belong to this place".  That could go in thier personal camp or they could carry it with them to march with the barony etc. and it would remain their personal property.

If you want to identify the barony (as one does with a banner), use the full arms (yes wreath).  Keep in mind that that banner, once given to the baron and baroness, then becomes property of the barony and will pass to the next baron and baroness as baronial regalia (ie stuff that the barony owns).

Does that help?

Morgen,
Princess of Æthelmearc