[SCA-BMDL] courtesy

Diana Slivinska slavicdiva at pobox.com
Thu Jul 17 20:20:22 EDT 2008

Greetings, all!

Here are some random thoughts from a handworker - I knit, crochet,
bead, quilt, yada yada.  Some of these arts require more mental focus
and concentration than others.

I don't do counted cross stitch, reticella or drawn thread work at
meetings or in court.  For one thing, the supplies take up more
space, and I have to pay closer attention, since my preferred forms
of stitching involve something like 36-threads-to-the-inch linen.
Better done at home, in the quiet, with better light than we have at
most events.

I could sew pre-pinned quilt pieces together at Court or in a
meeting.  It is the planning, cutting, selecting and pinning that
takes concentration. But sewing two little thingies together with a
tiny running stitch?  Not so much.

I have been knitting since I was eleven.  I can knit just about
anywhere, any time.  In movie theatres, in the dark, in the car (what
else does one do on a 6-hour trip?).  I have knit in Continuing Legal
Education classes, inconspicuously (one was so deadly dull that I
knit *and* read a book, at the same time!).  I have knit at Barony
Meeting.  Currently, there's a little group of us who have been
knitting socks in Court; none of our Royalty have objected.  Knitting
is a quiet activity, and in a large hall such as we use for Court,
we're not likely to be disturbing anyone.  Socks are small and
portable, we need only 5 little needles and a small ball of yarn,
that's all; the whole business fits easily in a lap, basket or small
satchel.

I read somewhere, a long time ago, that the tiny sounds made by
knitting needles can be soothing to hospital patients (knitting used
to be a pastime done often by people sitting at the bedsides of sick
people).   I do find that knitting occupies the part of my mind that
tends to wander, and I am able to enjoy things like Court more
thoroughly without the constant inner monologue that goes on inside
my head when it doesn't have enough to occupy it.  I have the same
inner monologue problem with mindless forms of exercise such as
walking on a treadmill (I am *not* a hamster!) or riding a stationary
bike - which is why group classes like Zumba work better for me; I
have to pay attention, so I stay focused and don't end up
woolgathering instead of working out!

You can determine a lot by the demeanor of the individual
handworker.  Is the person engaging in conversation while their hands
are doing something else?  If so, then what's the problem?  Where is
the handworker's eyes, on the work, or on other people?  Are they so
focused on their handwork that they are oblivious to everything going
on around them?  I would find that rude and unacceptable, much like
reading a book at a party.

Some of this is cultural.  I come from a handworking family; I don't
recall my mom ever sitting down in the evening without a piece of
embroidery or crochet in hand unless she was sick.  For us, handwork
at family gatherings was normal and even expected.  I know others
whose families don't make anything; they never seem to understand why
I'd want to knit a sock when I could just go to K-Mart and buy some,
and I've given up trying to explain.  "I do it because it pleases me
to do it" never seems to satisfy them.  They are also the most likely
to feel that I'm not paying sufficient attention to them if I'm also
knitting.

Yes, I am one of those people who has a hard time *not*
multitasking.  It is nearly impossible for me to watch TV or DVDs
without something else to do - I either fall asleep or get fidgety -
unless I am exhausted (then I tend to fall asleep anyway).  However,
I find it more rude to be texting, emailing, or working on a laptop
during a meeting - those endeavors require lots of attention to be
paid to the electronic gizmo and whatever you're typing, and are far
more likely to cause the worker not to pay attention to the meeting
(we've banned laptop and cellphone use at our company's meetings,
unless the laptop is being used specifically for the item being
discussed or presented).

I find taking phone calls while in company the rudest activity of all
- first of all, the phone makes noise, then the person whose phone
rang makes noise answering it.  The talker then turns away from his
companions and ignores them to yak with a third person not present.
IMO, that is rude; far ruder than someone engaging in conversation
while their hands are otherwise occupied.  The message sent by
phoners is, "You (who are present) are less important/worthy/
interesting than this other person who has commanded my attention
(although not present)."  Ruuuuuuuuude!

Just my unravelings for the day,

--Giulietta