[SCA-BMDL] courtesy

Helewys helewys at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 14:08:20 EDT 2008

I bring my knitting everywhere I go for the most part. Especially to
SCA functions/meetings. I may not always have the chance to knit, like
in Officer's meetings where I am taking the minutes but it's always
there with me.

I'm also perfectly capable of giving my 100% attention to something
else while knitting something simple (read garter or stockinette
stich, preferably in the round). I can read a book while knitting
without having to look at my knitting. I can pay attention to a
speaker or a power point presentation while I'm knitting. In fact,
knitting helps me focus on what's being said more, it makes my mind
wander less.  It's simply something to keep my hands busy and be
productive while I'm being passive. Anyone who knows me has probably
seen me do this.

Outside of the SCA, I do consider my surroundings and then decide if
it would be appropriate to take out my knitting. I don't knit in
restaurants or at some social functions.  I do knit in waiting rooms,
in long lines, at the movie theater in the dark (again, I can knit
without looking at what I"m knitting), at meetings, occasionally in
traffic while I'm driving if I'm in stopped for a period of time (not
at a stop light but if I"m in a traffic jam etc) In fact, there's one
anecdote a well known knitter tells in a book about coming to some
sort of impasse with a truck driver and neither of them wanting to
move for the other one, so she took out her knitting and started to
knit. Needless to say, the truck moved first ;)

 If it's a situation where I think someone might mind, I ask "Do you
mind if I knit while we do X?" If they say yes, I respect their
request. For the most part, I don't ask this amongst my SCAdian
friends since it seems to be more common and more acceptable in our
community.

Cheers,
Helewys