[SCA-BMDL] courtesy

Erin Childs wanderingpixie at livejournal.com
Thu Jul 17 11:42:59 EDT 2008

So, I have to admit to being one of those folks who likes to have
something to do with their hands.  And I do question myself regularly
about any given situation being rude.  And I do think it's
situational.

However, there was one specific question brought up in the discussion
that I'd like to address.

On 7/17/08, Wolfgang Guntherson <wolfgangguntherson at yahoo.com> wrote:
> But at a meeting with a specific purpose, I do think it is rude, especially if a presentation is being given.  If you aren't interested in providing your full attention, why are you there?

I have had many, many presentations (in school and at work) that my
presence is required for, some less interesting, some more so.  And
I've found, over the years, that I have the same problem at both of
them: If you turn the lights off and give an even vaguely boring
presentation, I _will_ fall asleep.

One of the only consistent solutions I've found is to have something
to work on.  So my choice is to be potentially rude but attentive or
rude _and_ asleep.  I choose being attentive (even if it's rude) as
the lesser evil.

-Ailis