[SCA-BMDL] banner heraldry question

Cara & Char charb at mail.connecttime.net
Wed Jul 9 22:20:28 EDT 2008

Greetings!  Elss has graciously and skillfully offered to design 6 tall banner poles from which to fly 6 Baronial encampment banners (approx. 20 ft high, spaced at points along our camp road border).  Tonight after Barony meeting we were discussing how to put the Barony's arms upon them and I thought we should ask those in our Barony more experienced with shapes of banners depicted in period.  She had a proposed rectangular banner supported with a dowel above and below that would hang from the top of the pole.  I have admired triangular pennant-style banners, the kind that only fly out full length with wind, at various Pennsic and Gulf Wars camps.  Can anyone help us out with which styles we can document?
Thank you!
Ariella