[SCA-BMDL] Wanted: Artwork for the Barony Web site!

Clemente de Warrewyk warrewyk at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 11:52:49 EST 2008

Greetings from the Webminister!

Our web site, though plain, has served the Barony well through the years.
But it's starting to look a little old and out-dated and I think it's time
to give it a new look.  One that properly showcases our great Barony.  With
that in mind, I am planning on completely redesigning the web site to give
it a new look and make it easier to navigate and find things.

One way to give the web site a more period feel is to decorate it with
period artwork.  To that end, I would like to enlist the aid of our talented
scribes and artisans!  I am looking for:

* Samples of long, thin bits of illumination ( e.g. vinework or Celtic
knotwork) to use along the page borders, or as horizontal dividers between
sections.
* Calligraphed and illuminated page banners - in particular banners to
replace the title text on each page.  For example, for the main page, a
calligraphed "Barony-Marche of the Debatable Lands", decorated with
illumination, including the baronial arms.
* Random square or rectangular bits of illumination, or woodcuts or prints,
to fill in empty spaces on some of the pages.

All of the artwork need not be new.  If you have scans of old scrolls and
think that border elements, etc, could be used from them, then that is fine
as well.

I don't want to get bogged down in technical or legal details at this time,
so if you are a scribe in the Barony (including Steltonwald and Cour D'Or of
course!) and would like to contribute, please send me an email at
webminister at debatablelands.org or find me at Baronial 12th Night at the
Castle, and we can talk.  (If you're not sure who I am, ask for Clemente and
someone should be able to point you in my direction.  There's only one
Clemente in the BMDL as far as I'm aware. :-) )

But, please do talk to me before starting on anything!  There are some
details I'll need to explain, and I don't want anyone to spend lots of time
creating something that I can't use for some silly reason or other.

I'm looking for a selection of artwork from a variety of people of all skill
levels.  There is certainly no need to be a C&I Laurel to participate, so
don't be shy!  I know we have loads of talented people in the Barony, and I
hope to hear from many of you.

In Service,
Clemente de Warrewyk
BMDL Webminister

PS, This email has dealt primarily with artwork.  I'll also be looking for
photos, especially for a new "Newcomers" section.  But I would like to
address that issue separately, since there is a different set of concerns
and criteria that need to be applied to photographs vs. artwork.  If you
have photos that you think would be ideal for display on the web site,
please bear with me and hold on to them while I deal with a few other
matters first!  :-)