[SCA-BMDL] Pitt Activities Fair

Paul Warlop pwarlop at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 09:19:30 EDT 2008

Upon seeing the announcement of the Pitt Activities fair I remembered some
of our meetings from last fall, specifically having to do with recruitment.
Therefore,  I'd like to remind everyone that the point of attending the
activities fair is to help with recruitment.  To that end we need to put our
best face forward, our best face for attracting young college students to
our wonderful and varied organization.

I'd suggest everyone who plans on attending wear their best garb(or at least
most eye-catching/flattering), wear their best armor, bring their best
example of their craft, or come prepared to show off the best of their skill
at fighting or performing.

Also, more to the point everyone who attends should be prepared to talk to
college students and not only be able to explain what they personally like
to do, but more importantly ask the incoming students what they are
interested in and point them in the right direction. For example, oh you
like playing instruments we have an instrumental group that meets weekly and
practices and performs medieval and renaissance music on Thursday evenings
on the CMU campus.  If you don't know that much about a students field of
interest refer them to someone else at the demo, show off the best feature
of the SCA that we have many people with many different interests that
support eachother and their interests and form a wonderful community.

I do not intend to discourage turnout with this message.  I would just like
to see us do the best job we can at recruiting new members.

In service,

Pavel Dudoladov

(Paul Warlop - CMU Alum. Class of 2006)