[SCA-BMDL] Niche events

Roana Devreux roana01 at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 13:54:30 EST 2007

> What kind of niche events would people like to
> attend?
>
> Raven
-----

Niche events for certain interests already seem to be
well represented - music & dance collegia, dance-only
events, the Spear and Fencing tourney, war collegia,
heralds & scribes events, bardic events, &c.

What I think would be neat would be to see more niche
events that hewed closely to a particular culture/time
period, where attendees were strongly encouraged to
dress only in appropriate garb and where *all* the
activities were theme-appropriate (no giving in and
holding a Caroso ball at a 'Viking' event, for
example).

I had hoped that last summer's Agincourt event would
be like this, but in the end the event became too
generic.  No offense to the fencers, I think y'all are
great people ... but in my mind fencing has no place
at Agincourt.

I do enjoy the 'standard SCA event' where I hang out
with my friends, watch a double-elim tourney, and eat
a great pan-European feast in the evening.  But I'd
also love for more events to have a more coherent,
authentic feel to them.

Just a thought.  Maybe I'll even make a return to
autocratting, so that I can run one of my own someday.
:)
~~Roana
-----