[SCA-BMDL] Niche events or "Why is Purim so popular?"

Erin Childs wanderingpixie at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 2 12:15:44 EST 2007

While I haven't actually managed to get to any of the mentioned niche
events, I can definitely say why I _would_ find them appealing.

The 'standard SCA event' is something I go to because I want to do
something SCA.  There is rarely something special about that particular
event that makes it more attractive than other 'standard SCA events'.
Obviously some 'standard events' have some characteristics that make
them stand out, but all-in-all they're very similar unless you have a
vested interest in that particular difference.

A niche event offers something different.  There will be unusual things
there to do, learn, and/or eat.  If I can't make it to the one this
month, there isn't another one next month that will be similar.

Also, from a practical standpoint, niche events tend to plan to be
smaller (as far as I know) and therefore selling out is easier.  I
don't know how the raw numbers of attendees compare to those of
'standard events'.

-Ailis