[SCA-BMDL] Big (50#) washers at self-serve laundry?

Karen Kasper arianna_wyn at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 18 09:54:04 EDT 2007

My lord,

  You do not want to machine wash or dry a canvas tent unless you have absolutely NO choice because some hideous substance has gotten on it. Doing so will destroy any water-proofing, fire-resistance and/or mold/mildew-resistance treatments that the canvas has.

  I built my own tent, purchasing the Sunforger canvas from a company out west that sells it by the bolt, primarily for boat covers. They instructed me that the ONLY way to clean the canvas without ruining it is to use plan water and a stiff brush, by hand. No detergents - not even dishwashing soap.

  If your canvas ends up wet when you pack up at the end of Pennsic, I can only suggest that you take it out whenever you stop for the night and spread it out as best you can to dry, then set the tent up when you get home to ensure that it dries completely. Annoying, I know, but better than damaging your costly investment.

  Arianna of Wynthrope

Denis McKeon <dmckeon at swcp.com> wrote:
    We hope to find a self-service laundromat in the greater
Pennsic/Pittsburgh area that has at least two 50 pound washers
(and dryers to match).

  And why would we be wanting to machine wash large parts of a tent?
Well, if canvas is wet, and when home is 2800 miles away, it makes more
sense to us to travel that distance with cleaner and dryer canvas than
to try to dry it on the way, all the while dodging thunderstorms, and
then try to clean it at home, after the mold has gained a beachhead.

  Bennet

Karen Kasper