[SCA-BMDL] In search of a mentor for an event; Al-hafla

Baron Dur of Hidden Mountain baron-dur at lazerlink.com
Mon Jul 2 21:24:33 EDT 2007

Bismallah Assalam O Alykum Wa Ramatullah Wa Barakatuh

Greetings one an all, more particularly past autocrats of the Barony Marche.
Odriana and myself would like to propose that the event know as Al-hafla
occur in the Barony in mid-winter this coming year.  This event has been
very successful for the past 10 years in three prior venues (Shire of
Nithgarrd, Shire of Eisental, and Barony of Bhakail) and has a strong and
loyal following.  The event is principally a single themed event focused on
music and culture of the Near and Middle East that might have been seen by
pilgrims en-route to the Kingdom of Jerusalem (or Mecca, if traveling from
points East.)

I will go so far as to say that this particular event is the easiest of any
that I have ever seen in decades of SCA travels.  It follows the ancient
rules of Hospitality:  The Host must provide; the Guests must be
entertaining (why else would anyone bring friends together but to have them
enjoy each other¹s companionship?)

To the point of this missive; it is by law and custom (I am told) that any
first time autocrat in BMDL is to be mentored through this experience by an
autocrat of a former event of the Barony.  Thus, when Odriana said unto me,
³I¹ll cook.  Get an autocrat or a mentor!², I find myself in a difficult
spot.  Though I have been the autocrat for this event many times in the
past, it was not in the Barony.  Furthermore, I have not lived therein for
such a period of time to have established the usual network of accomplices
to effect the effort, such as may be required.  Whatever is a poor old
broken down Baron to do, I ask you?

So, I put it to you, that should amongst the denizens of BMDL there be one
who wishes to be the autocrat of Al-hafla (bring your own mentor, if you
must have one), you will have my undying gratitude and erstwhile aid in the
execution of the event.  Should there be dearth of potential autocrats,
would there perhaps be one amongst the august company of former office
holders pleased and willing to stand as mentor for this poor old broken down
Baron?

Salaam, and peace.

end
Mukhtar durr al-jabal al-mukhfi        http://tinyurl.com/dbp63
<Baron Dur of Hidden Mountain>                    Member # 02933
 He who has daughters is always a shepherd.  Spanish Proverb