[SCA-BMDL] February Arts and Science Class

Saskia van Ouwater saskiavanouwater at gmail.com
Wed Feb 14 14:58:24 EST 2007

This month, we are switching to having A&S classes on the third Wednesday of
the month (so that's next week) on the Pitt Campus.  This month we are
pleased to present:

February Arts and Sciences Class: European Woodcut Prints

Wednesday, February 21
William Pitt Union Room 937
8 pm

Fredeburg Katzenellenbogen

This class will take a look at the European woodcut tradition within our
time period.  The most famous artist of the Renaissance who produced
woodblock prints is Albrecht Duerer.   Although woodblock printing had been
used earlier, in the 15th century it became widely used to illustrate books.
Artists employed carvers to create the blocks that were printed and then
sometimes colored.   I will take a look at both the work of the artist as
well as the techniques employed by the woodcarver.

Street parking is usually available, and there is also a garage across
Forbes from the union underneath the Soldiers and Sailors Memorial.  As
always, these classes are free and open to all.

Looking forward to seeing you next week-

Saskia van Ouwater
Minister of Arts and Sciences
BMDL