[SCA-BMDL] Sylvan Glen announcement

Gwilym scalongbow at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 17 00:23:35 EDT 2007

>From the Shire of Sylvan Glen
  Defenders of Sylvan Glen - July 6, 7, 8, 2007
  Poorhouse Farm Park, Martinsburg WV (Berkeley Co.)

  Attention, attention please,  We, the honest, hard working, kind hearted citizens of the Shire of Sylvan Glen, in the eastern reaches of AEthelmearc are faced with a problem of epidemic proportions.  Last year, we were over-run with monsters, creatures, and demons of all kinds.  Due to the determined efforts of 3 kingdoms,  there are only a few
bothersome beasts left..    Now, we face a new peril.  Bandits now infest  the Great Western Road and are pillaging the merchant wagons and trade caravans as they travel from one kingdom to the next.  These low, vile, and dishonorable beings CLAIM to be from Sylvan Glen, but nothing could
further from the truth!  We need to hunt down these criminals, and bring them to justice!  To this end we are holding a tourney to find the strongest warriors, the deadliest archers,  the steadiest thrown weapons experts, to lead us in destroying these parasites.  If we cannot rid ourselves of these bandits, the good citizens of Atlantia may rise
up against us, and invade our faire lands in the fall, and seek
justice on their own (In an event known as the Seige of Glen Gary).   Please come to our tourney, and lend your strength to our cause.

  Begin your day by watching the hounds of AEthelmearc run their courses!  Then move on to martial arts.  Or, take in a class or two.

  Martial Arts – with reward to the winners!
  Heavy Fighting – a double elimination tourney.  The winner will receive a commerative wooden broad sword (not suitable for combat), a stained glass  treasure fashioned  by Lady Sueva the Short, and a $10.00 gift card from Sheetz (good for gas, food, or other necessaries).   After the tourney, melees will be organized, complete with combat archery.
Come get in one last practice for the Great Pennsic War.

   Rapier – The form of the tourney will depend on the number of participants.  The winner  will receive a commerative wooden broad sword (not suitable for combat), a stained glass treasure by Lady Sueva the Short, and a $10.00 gift certificate from Sheetz.

   Archery – The form of the tourney will depend on the number of participants.  Royal Rounds and a fun shoot are planned.  The winner will receive a $10.00 gift certificate from Three Rivers Archery, a stained glass treasure fashioned by Lady Sueva the Short, and a $10.00 gift certificate from Sheetz.

  Thrown Weapons – The form of the tourney will depend of the number of the participants.  Royal Rounds and a fun throw are planned.  The winner will receive a commerative throwing knife, a stained glass treasure fashioned by Lady Sueva the Short, and a $10.00 gift certificate.

  Heavy Youth Combat – We will have heavy youth combat tourneys for Division I, II, and III.  The winner of each division will receive a commerative wooden sword, and a $10.00 gift certificate for Wal – Mart.

  Arts and Sciences  - with rewards to the winners
   To remind our citizens of last year’s plague, we ask that artists of all stripes make monsters, beasts, and demons in any media.  Items will be judged by a panel of A&S experts.  Judging will be on appearance, periodness, and documentation.  The winner will receive a $35.00 Gift
Certificate from the SCA Store – may be used to purchase a
membership.  Youth participants in  the A&S competition will receive a special
participation award.

   NEW, NEW, NEW – a Fishing Derby – The site has a lovely small pond.  A good and kind gentle from Atlantia has stepped forward, and offered to Judge a Fishing derby.  Prizes will be given for the Largest Sunfish, and the Largest Not-A-Sunfish.  This is a catch and release derby (fish must be alive and swim away to count).  The competition is open
to all, any age, any level of expertise.   All participants must use fishing gear that is “periodish” (wooden sticks,  any kind of fishing line (including monofiliment),  natural material bobbers (cork, wood, etc.)  and real worms, bread, cheese, baits are fine;   (crank reels ,telescoping rods, plastic bobbers  rubber worms, plastic minnows or commercial baits are not)  Note – Do not use live minnows.  Fishing kits
will be available at troll for anyone under 15 years old, who brings a parent to the event (Parents are solely responsible for the supervision of their child or children. Neither the fishing marshall, nor the autocrat  accept any responsibility for children at this event. A parent or designated gardian must be with a child at all times).  IMPORTANT – ANYONE OVER 15 YEARS OLD NEEDS A VALID WV FISHING LICENSE!  These are available on line from the West Virginia Dept. of Natural Resources . They are also available from any WV Wal – Mart, or  WV Sporting, Hunting, Fishing Store.  There is a one day license available  to anyone (out – of – state) for $15.00.  The Fish and Game warden has promised to visit during the day, so be prepared – keep your license on your person while you are fishing (it MUST be on your person, not in your tent, or car!).

   Classes – We are offering a basketry class (10:00 am and 2:00 pm), and other classes (perhaps a combat archery class ??) as instructors come forward.

   An entertainment competition – After Feast  anyone may try their luck at entertaining the masses.  Winner will be by popular vote.  Gift certificates will go to the winner – a $10.00 gift certificate from the SCA and a $10.00 Sheetz gift card.

   A fine feast will be had by those lucky enough to reserve a seat. Dishes will include a roasted chicken, a baked trout, and braised pork, each with accompanying sides (Please see our website for ingredients and details).  If a member of your party needs Off Board Seating, please make arrangements with our reservationist., Lady Marija Kotok.

   Details, Details, Details – The site opens at 6:00 pm on Friday, and closes at 6:00 pm on Sunday.  The site is DRY.  No ground camp fires (camp stoves, grills and small, above ground, container fires are acceptable).   Also, the site is a public park, so there will be non-scadians in attendance.  Be prepared to answer questions.

    Costs/Fees/Prices
   Pre. Reg. Entry fees (Early Bird special)

Feast
                          Adult -               $5.00                $
8.00
                          Youth (6 – 17)-  $4.00                 $ 4.
00
                           Smalls (0 – 5)  -  Free
Free
  Non-member fee                       $3.00

              At the Gate, pay that day

Feast
                        Adult  -                  $9.00
$ 9.00
                       Youth ( 6 – 17)   -   $ 5.00
$ 5.00
                      Smalls ( O – 5 )  -   Free               Free
  Non – Member fee                      $3.00
  Camping Fees = $2.00 per person
  Marija Kotok is our reservationist, contact her at
  mamalynx at allvantage.com
  or
  304 - 229 - 1854

  As always Merchants are welcome!

Refund Policy
  No refunds due to weather. If a refund is needed, please submit the refund request to the exchequer, or the autocrat, or to troll.  Requests must be in writng, and include the mundane name, society name, and a valid mailing address.  Requests must be received within 72 hours of the
end of the event.  No refunds will be issued from troll.  All refunds will be mailed to the name and address submitted on the written request, in the form of a check.  Sorry if this sounds unfriendly, but money issues make some otherwise kind and humble folk, very nasty.

  Thank you from the autocrat for The Defenders of Sylvan Glen

   The site is Poorhouse Farm Park , in Martinsburg WV ( Berkeley County ).
  Directions!
  From I-81 take WV exit 13 ( CR-15/King St ). Follow exit ramp and turn towards Tuscarora Pike. This road is fairly curvy. Go 2.6 miles on Tuscarora Pike then turn left onto Poor House Rd. Continue .9 miles on Poor House Rd. The entrance to Poor House Farm Park will be on the left.
Follow the access road to the parking area

  For the weary traveler:
  In addition to our fabulous feast we are offering a traveler’s
repast – food for the famished travelers who in come during the night to set up camp.  Come to troll after your tent is set up, and warm yourself with a cup of soup, and a sandwich.  Or cool off with a cold drink, and a cool snack of fruit and cheese.
 On Saturday and Sunday, refresh yourselves at our breakfast board – coffee, tea, water, muffins, breads, butters, and spreads.
 Lunch – we ask that you consider supporting the Berkeley County Youth Football league concession stand.  They generously donate the use of their football field for the hounds, and the Archery competition.
Please repay their kindness.

  For questions contact:
  Marianna Molin di Salerno, autocrat
  304 - 263 - 4081, no calls after 10:30 pm, will return call as soon as possible so please leave a message that includes your phone number

  email
  shemakes at yahoo.com
  please include  - Attention Marianna the Autocrat  - in the subject line (helps me know what is spam).  If I don't know the answer to your questions, I will direct you to someone who does.