[SCA-BMDL] A&S Night - TONIGHT AT 8:00 PM

Jennifer Strobel bradley2 at andrew.cmu.edu
Tue Nov 21 13:52:30 EST 2006

Introduction to Iconoclasm, A&S Night: November 21, 2006

In the SCA, we frequently study how art is created, but we seldom talk
about the other side of the coin: how (and more importantly, why) it was
destroyed.  The phenomenon of mass destruction of images is called
Iconoclasm, and has been a recurrent theme in societies where there is
tension between the creation of art and religious tenets.  There were at
least three major waves of iconoclasm, and in this class, we will be
talking about two of them, the Byzantine iconoclasm of the 9th century
and the Beeldenstorm in 16th century Europe.  We will look at the
motives for iconoclasm as well as looking at the practical effect it had
on artistic production.

This lecture is from Saskia Beranek, known in The Society as Saskia van
Ouwater.  Professor Beranek is adjunct faculty at Carlow College and
teaches a variety of Art-related classes.  Her lecture last year, which
was a lecture about how to look at Netherlandish art, was incredible and
if you missed that one, try to make this lecture.

DIRECTIONS TO ODRIANA'S:
Take your best route to Route 8 North.  Follow Route 8 North to the
intersection of Route 8 and Harts Run Road (from the intersection of Rt
8 and Rt 28, this is approximately 10 miles).
At Harts Run, turn right (you can't turn left) and go for .9 miles.
Just before you get to the house, you will see an apartment building on
your right with a rather large parking lot.
At the edge of the parking lot, there is a guide rail (on the right).
The guide rail stops at our driveway.
Our house is on the right.
I will have all of the lights on in the front.
If you need help finding the house, please phone 412.486.0566 and we
will help you.

Hope to see you there!

Odriana

-Frank Zappa