[SCA-BMDL] A&S Night - November 21 - Intro to Iconoclasm

Jennifer Strobel bradley2 at andrew.cmu.edu
Thu Nov 9 09:57:59 EST 2006

Introduction to Iconoclasm, A&S Night: November 21, 2006

In the SCA, we frequently study how art is created, but we seldom talk
about the other side of the coin: how (and more importantly, why) it was
destroyed.  The phenomenon of mass destruction of images is called
Iconoclasm, and has been a recurrent theme in societies where there is
tension between the creation of art and religious tenets.  There were at
least three major waves of iconoclasm, and in this class, we will be
talking about two of them, the Byzantine iconoclasm of the 9th century
and the Beeldenstorm in 16th century Europe.  We will look at the
motives for iconoclasm as well as looking at the practical effect it had
on artistic production.

Hope to see you there!

Saskia van Ouwater