Could anyone give us a guide about how to use openslide to view WSI

Gong, Qi * Qi.Gong at fda.hhs.gov
Thu Mar 22 10:51:58 EDT 2018

Hi everyone,

My name is Qi Gong. I am working at the FDA. We have a project: evaluation environment for Digital and Analog Pathology (eeDAP). It is a system built by Matlab to help pathologist read the same field of view on WSI and microscope by registration between WSI and microscope stage. We published several papers about this system. (e.g. Registration accuracy between whole slide images and glass slides in eeDAP workflow)

Matlab has some limitations. Thus, we want to recreate eeDAP based on a public WSI viewer . We think openslide is a good candidate. We want to add a plugin to the viewer. It has several main features: 1. Get mouse clicked WSI x-y position. 2. Show certain FOV by command line. 3. Extract certain magnification level FOV and save to disk.

Does openslide have the plugin option? What language we should use to build the plugin (python, java, C...). Could anyone give us a guide about how to use openslide to view WSI, and how to create a basic plugin in it. Thank you.

Regards,
Qi