Help with viewing slides on the web

Derek Magee D.R.Magee at leeds.ac.uk
Wed Feb 7 08:52:20 EST 2018

My 2p, with tentative, but slightly reluctant interest…

Formats openslide should probably support and doesn’t (probably non exclusive list):

Zeiss – There’s already a zeiss driver, it’s just not in the main openslide build for reasons to do with NDAs. It works well actually!

Olympus – We wrote our own (non-openslide) driver already. It’s a pretty simple format to reverse engineer (tiff based with some external binary files for the big images).

Precipoint – Again some sort of openslide driver already exists (all be it only supporting jpeg .. does anyone know if these scanners actually output anything else? Png/bmp/jp2???). The jury is out on whether this is production ready until I see some image files.

DICOM – Some work was done on this but the code is very flaky (lots of asserts rather than proper error checking that cause your code to exit, assumptions about filename conventions, reliance on existence of dicomdir file, etc.). This one I wouldn’t use in production! I’d say this needs re-writing properly.

Roche BIF – This is supported but broken (due to non uniform grid of tiles assumed to be uniform). It is on my TODO list to look at, but it took me about a day to get my head round building openslide and how the code is structured and I haven’t had time to look at it since (it’s not that high up the TODO list).

Also:

One big disadvantage with openslide currently is that it doesn’t support multi z-plane images (there is no API let alone any code). There are no plns to fix this.  Many vendors (Aperio, Hammamatsu, 3D Histech, Olympus to name a few) can produce these. In fact the lack of supports is variable as some drivers just take the first plane, and others cannot read such files at all.  I see no point (from our point of view) in putting resources into openslide supporting new formats unless this issue is sorted. We have a project that requires this for Aperio and/or Hamamatsu (at least) coming up, so this is on my mind to look at.

Derek