deepzoom_tile.py Issue

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Dec 11 00:36:08 EST 2017

On Mon, Nov 27, 2017 at 02:18:02PM +0800, Kathleen Sucipto wrote:
> I just installed python-openslide 1.1.0 and ran the example code
> deepzoom_tile.py on a tiff image. Somehow it produces this error message:
>
> [...]
>   File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/openslide/lowlevel.py", line 217,
> in read_region
>     w, h))
> OpenSlideError: negative width (259) or negative height (-32) not allowed
>
> I tried it on a different computer and it works fine. Both of them use
> Ubuntu 16.04 - 64 bit. Any idea why this issue occurred?

Hi Kathleen,

That's strange; it sounds like a bug.  Do both machines have OpenSlide
Python 1.1.0 (not 1.1.1) and are you tiling the same slide on each?  Are you
passing any options to deepzoom_tile.py?  Could you run
openslide-show-properties on the slide file and post the output (redacted if
necessary)?