Very basic questions

David De Mena García david.mena.exts at juntadeandalucia.es
Thu Mar 31 04:34:03 EDT 2016

Hi:

As Benjamin said, the OpenSlide python needs other libraries
to work like PIL (see the import section)

You can also get some new
lines to explorer here
http://libvips.blogspot.com.es/2013/03/making-deepzoom-zoomify-and-google-maps.html
(In the comment you will also get some project made with google maps.)

VIPS gives you the possibility to generate the static tiling and
transform to other formats. You can generate the same result with the
python openslide deepzoom example as well.

If you want to do
everything in python, also the web services to provide dinamicaly the
tiles, I aslo recomend you the web.py library
(http://www.dreamsyssoft.com/python-scripting-tutorial/create-simple-rest-web-service-with-python.php)

http://easyzoom.com [4]. It
> uses OpenSlide in the background. You can
upload files up to 4 GB. You
> can either put them into a private space
(which will require a plan
> after the first 2 GB) or place them
publicly (always free).
> Then you can get an embed link (iFrame) and
place them on your website
> as you want (just like YouTube with
videos). Annotations are of course
> possible for you (and if you want
for the users).

05:03 schrieb Benjamin Gilbert via openslide-users:

>> On Wed, Mar
30, 2016 at 10:32:49PM +0000, Upadhyay, Vivek, M.D. via openslide-users
wrote:

>>> I have downloaded Openslide and Openslide Python, but
when I run the module I keep getting a "ImportError: No module named
'PIL'". 1) How can I open OpenSlide Python on my computer (I use a
mac)?
>> You have to install not only OpenSlide and OpenSlide Python,
but all of the libraries they depend upon. It's possible to do that by
hand, but quite a bit of work. On Mac OS X, the easiest alternative is
to install OpenSlide and OpenSlide Python from MacPorts . Follow the
website's instructions to install MacPorts, then `sudo port install
py-openslide`. The web demo scripts (see below) will be installed into
/opt/local/share/doc/py27-openslide/examples/deepzoom.

>>> 2) How
can I use OpenSlide on a website?
>> The general idea is that you
convert a slide file into a Deep Zoom image pyramid, which can then be
displayed by the OpenSeadragon viewer running in a web browser. There
are two general ways to do it: - Dynamic tiling: Generate each Deep Zoom
image tile when it is requested by a web browser. This is useful if you
have many slides which are rarely viewed, but it requires OpenSlide to
be running on the web server. - Static tiling: Generate the entire Deep
Zoom pyramid in advance. This is useful when the same few slides are
viewed over and over. It requires more computation up front, but then
the tiles can be served by a generic web server without any custom code.
For basic implementations of each of these approaches, see the scripts
in the examples directory mentioned above. deepzoom_server.py and
deepzoom_multiserver.py implement dynamic tiling, while deepzoom_tile.py
implements static tiling. If you want a faster and higher-quality
implementation of deepzoom_tile.py, you can `port install vips` and use
`vips dzsave`, but then you'll need to supply your own HTML and
JavaScript code to load and configure OpenSeadragon. --Benjamin Gilbert

David de Mena García
Anatomía Patológica
H.U. de Jerez

Links: