Openslide python on Windows

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Sun Jul 17 01:31:59 EDT 2016

On Thu, Jul 14, 2016 at 06:39:19AM +0000, Adam Carvosso via openslide-users wrote:
> I am attempting to install OpenSlide as it is a prerequisite for the New
> York University Virtual Microscope and the scripts that it takes advantage
> of for converting .svs files into other formats.  The project can be found
> here: https://github.com/evildmp/VirtualMicroscope (I am running Windows 7
> currently).
>
> My current error is:
>
> "'module' object has no attribute 'OpenSlide'. "

Hi Adam,

The NYU SVS tiling script doesn't use OpenSlide Python: it uses pyOpenSlide,
which is an older, unmaintained Python binding.  The script has other
problems as well; for example, it tries to read the entire slide into
memory, which doesn't generally work on 32-bit systems.

I'd suggest using VIPS instead.  It can read a slide file using OpenSlide
and generate a Google Maps pyramid:

    http://libvips.blogspot.com/2013/03/making-deepzoom-zoomify-and-google-maps.html

Windows binaries:

    http://www.vips.ecs.soton.ac.uk/supported/current/win32/