Openslide python on Windows

Adam Carvosso adam.carvosso at utas.edu.au
Thu Jul 14 02:39:19 EDT 2016

Hi, never used a mailing list before so apologies if I'm doing this wrong.

I am attempting to install OpenSlide as it is a prerequisite for the New York University Virtual Microscope and the scripts that it takes advantage of for converting .svs files into other formats. The project can be found here: https://github.com/evildmp/VirtualMicroscope (I am running Windows 7 currently).

My current error is:

"'module' object has no attribute 'OpenSlide'. "

I previously found this thread:
                https://lists.andrew.cmu.edu/pipermail/openslide-users/2014-November/000948.html

Which mentions that "The 'bin' directory from that package must be in Python's search path for loading DLLs.". Despite the link to the Microsoft msdn site, I am unable to figure out exactly how you achieve this. I attempted to dump the contents of the Windows binaries download in three places that seemed relevant - the bin file contents were deposited in the Python install's DLLs folder. The "include" folder contents were put in Python's include folder. Finally, the "lib" contents were placed in the Python "libs" folder. These all seemed to match up with the sort of files that were in both places.

This did not work, and the same error occurred. Other vague ideas I have include trying to find some way to modify Windows path variables or dump the entire folder of windows binaries somewhere with the folder itself intact, but I simply don't know where to do this. I am obviously extremely inexperienced with all of these things, and this has been the latest in a long line of frustrations for trying to get this all going.

An added complication is that I'm running two separate Python versions and must explicitly refer to either the 32 or 64 bit installs when working with things. Not sure if that's relevant but thought I would mention it.

Regards,
Adam