Nanozoomer annotation coordinate system to openslide pixels

Ahmed Bassiouni ahmedbassi at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 22:40:38 EST 2014

Hi Benjamin,

I tracked this and reached some preliminary conclusions.

In summary, I had only been able to extract regions in special cases while
for the rest of the areas/slides I was not able to extractdue to the yet
unknown coordinates system.

It looks like when you put in the offset coordinates into the ndpa file (
hamamatsu.
XOffsetFromSlideCentre and hamamatsu.
YOffsetFromSlideCentre). I did this by manually editing the xml itself.
This will give you a point EXACTLY in the centre of the main image.

However, these offset values themselves are actually relative to the centre
of the whole slide (as you guessed). Or this is at least what appears to
me, I can't think of another option.
The way I knew that is I went hunting for a slide that the roi of the macro
image is slightly to the left of the centre of the physical slide and there
the XOffsetFromSlideCentre was negative!

There is another tag hamamatsu.stage.center, which I then investigated, but
it does not look like the correct value to look at, since I have a slide
where the x from hamamatsu.stage.center is actually smaller than the
abs(-XOffsetFromSlideCentre). Unless this tag uses a different measurement
unit.

In this way, we need the complete width+length of the whole slide to
calculate coordinates. This has to be somewhere in the ndpi file itself ( I
hope). Otherwise, I wonder how the ndp.view software calculates it to place
the annotations at the correct site?? I sent hamamatsu an email querying
this.

BTW There are also tiff.ResolutionUnit (in my slides it says centimeter),
tiff.XResolution and tiff.YResolution. Can these tags help?

Best wishes,
Ahmed