Fatal JRE error

Tim ts+ml at rcmd.org
Mon May 26 13:11:08 EDT 2014

 Hello,

 On Thu, 15 May 2014 03:01:07 -0400, Benjamin Gilbert
 <bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
> On 05/14/2014 12:34 PM, Tim wrote:
>>   The application has been working fine for years on many computers,
>> but
>>   under all computers running OpenSuSE >= 13.2, it crashes with the
>>   following JRE error:
>>
>>   #  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007f22f92d3a04, pid=10239,
>>   tid=139788194010880
>>   #
>>   # Problematic frame:
>>   # C  [libc.so.6+0x7ea04]  cfree+0x14
> [...]
> Try recompiling OpenSlide and OpenSlide Java on the newer openSUSE
> release.  Better yet, consider upgrading to current versions of both
> packages.  This will require minor source changes to your
> application,
> but hopefully they'll be worth it: you're running OpenSlide 3.2.4 and
> OpenSlide Java <= 0.9.2, circa mid-2011, and there have been a lot of
> improvements since then!
>
> If neither of those fix the problem, post a followup and I'll help
> you
> track it down.
>
> --Benjamin Gilbert

 I started to work on this again.

 Adapting the source code for the application was no problem, all we had
 to do was change the package name in the imports and fix some function
 calls because some functions were renamed (the term 'layer' was replaced
 with 'level' in the new name).

 Compiling OpenSlide 3.4.0 turned out to be harder though. I tried both
 the release tarball from 3.4.0 (using make) and the version from GIT
 (using automake). Although configure runs fine after installing all the
 dev libs (jpeg, tiff, xml, ...), both versions abort during compilation
 with the following error message:

 -------------------------ERROR MESSAGE follows---------------------
 src/.libs/libopenslide.so: undefined reference to `opj_set_event_mgr'
 src/.libs/libopenslide.so: undefined reference to `opj_cio_open'
 src/.libs/libopenslide.so: undefined reference to `opj_cio_close'
 src/.libs/libopenslide.so: undefined reference to
 `opj_destroy_decompress'

 I have provided the full logs here:
  -the ./configure output from the tarball: http://pastebin.com/f3v7pZ44
  -the make output from the tarball       : http://pastebin.com/nbegmqqu