Fatal JRE error

Tim ts+ml at rcmd.org
Wed May 14 12:34:58 EDT 2014

 Hello list,

 we have written a Java application which accesses the Aperio SVS Format
 using OpenSlide via the java bridge. We use 'libopenslide.so.0.2.4' on
 64bit Linux and include 'openslidejava.jar' in the Java project. I do
 not know the version of openslidejava.jar and I don't know how to
 determine it.

 The application has been working fine for years on many computers, but
 under all computers running OpenSuSE >= 13.2, it crashes with the
 following JRE error:

 #
 #
 #  SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007f22f92d3a04, pid=10239,
 tid=139788194010880
 #
 # JRE version: OpenJDK Runtime Environment (7.0_51) (build
 1.7.0_51-b00)
 # Java VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (24.45-b08 mixed mode linux-amd64
 compressed oops)
 # Problematic frame:
 # C  [libc.so.6+0x7ea04]  cfree+0x14
 #
 # Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable
 core dumping, try "ulimit -c unlimited" before starting Java again
 #
 # An error report file with more information is saved as:
 # /tmp/jvm-10239/hs_error.log
 #
 # If you would like to submit a bug report, please include
 # instructions on how to reproduce the bug and visit:
 #   http://icedtea.classpath.org/bugzilla
 # The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.
 # See problematic frame for where to report the bug.
 #
 Java Result: 134

 We installed OpenSlide by copying the libs from one computer to the
 other manually (/lib64/libopenslide.so.0.2.4 and symlinks), both are
 64bit Linux as mentioned.

 I have put the hs_error.log file that is mentioned in the message here:
 http://pastebin.com/YhG14CUb
 (If needed, I can provide a core dump as well, but it is several GB in
 size.)

 Tbh I have no idea at all what the error is trying to tell me, and
 changing the JRE (to v1.6) did not help. To me, the hs_error.log file
 seems to suggest that the problem lies within OpenSlide, but I am no way
 sure.

 Can anybody tell me something about the error? Is it even related to
 OpenSlide or OpenSlideJava? Is it related to new glibc versions? What do
 I need to do? Recompile libopenslide on the new system? Get a later
 version and recompile? Or is it a JVM bug?

 Sorry for the confusion and thanks for your time,

--
 Tim