openJpeg

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Mar 5 22:32:33 EST 2014

On 03/05/2014 03:59 PM, kris kvilekval wrote:
> OpenSlideError: OpenJPEG error: Error decoding tile. Component 1
> contains only 32768 blocks while component 0 has 65536 blocks

Hi Kris,

Phil essentially answered your question, but just to expand a bit:

As far as I know, this issue only affects Aperio 33003 slides.  The
problem is due to a recent OpenJPEG security update issued by Debian,
Ubuntu, and Red Hat Enterprise Linux, that broke decoding of
chroma-subsampled images.

Affected packages are those containing a fix for CVE-2013-6045.  The
*first* affected package versions are:

wheezy	1.3+dfsg-4.7
jessie	1.3+dfsg-4.7+b1
sid	1.3+dfsg-4.7
lucid	1.3+dfsg-4+squeeze2build0.10.04.1
precise	1.3+dfsg-4+squeeze2build0.12.04.1
trusty	1.3+dfsg-4.7ubuntu1
RHEL6	1.3-10.el6_5

quantal and saucy should still be working at the moment, and the broken
patch was removed from the Fedora update.  The OpenSlide Windows
binaries use unmodified OpenJPEG 1.5.1, which doesn't have this problem.

If you're on one of the broken distributions, you can downgrade the
OpenJPEG library package to an earlier version than the one listed
above, or install OpenJPEG 1.5.1 from source.  OpenJPEG 2.0 won't work,
since OpenSlide doesn't support it yet.