MRXS huge white borders

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Tue Jul 29 12:23:28 EDT 2014

On 07/29/2014 11:35 AM, jcupitt at gmail.com wrote:
> On 28 July 2014 22:38, Benjamin Gilbert <bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu> wrote:
>> John, what do you think of adding an option to VIPS openslideload to
>> automatically crop using the bounds properties?
>
> Yes, that's probably a good idea.
>
> It could even be the default behaviour. Would anyone ever want huge
> areas of blank image?

No, they probably wouldn't.  The only caveat is that we do not promise
not to change how the bounds properties are calculated in future
OpenSlide releases, so I always encourage applications to use the
original (physical) coordinate system when storing metadata about ROIs,
etc.  Cropping by default would make it less obvious that applications
shouldn't depend on the bounds coordinates being stable.  But the
uncropped image can be fairly impractical to work with, so this may be a
losing battle.

It'd be nice to have an option to disable the cropping, though.