Install advice?

Mark Ungrin mdungrin at ucalgary.ca
Fri Jan 24 18:05:53 EST 2014

In terms of hardware, I assume more / faster processors will be a good
thing, but does openslide benefit from GPUs (i.e. does the graphics card
matter at all)?

thanks

Mark

On 1/15/2014 11:08 PM, Benjamin Gilbert wrote:
> On 01/15/2014 03:07 PM, Mark Ungrin wrote:
>> What would be your recommendations in terms of hardware for a slidedeck
>> server, and how would it change for say 35 vs 100 vs 200 students?
> I don't have specific recommendations.  If you have 200 *simultaneous*
> users, you might need a fair amount of CPU and I/O.  If you try it, let
> us know how it goes.  :-)
>
> If you have a large number of students and a small-to-moderate number of
> slides, you may want to consider using VIPS to generate the Deep Zoom
> tiles in advance.  Then you'd just need to serve the tiles from disk
> with a regular web server.
>
>> Also slidedeck seems much faster than deepzoom when bringing up the
>> initial image when first loading (both via Apache) - are they handling
>> the images differently?
> By default, when OpenSeadragon loads a Deep Zoom pyramid, it loads each
> pyramid level in turn starting from the first.  This is pointless, since
> the 9th Deep Zoom level is less than 256 pixels on a side.  SlideDeck
> and the OpenSlide demo site have a hack to start OpenSeadragon at the
> 9th level, but since deepzoom_server.py is supposed to be example code
> it doesn't have the hack.
>
> --Benjamin Gilbert

Dr. Mark Ungrin, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor
Department of Comparative Biology & Experimental Medicine
HMRB 320, 3330 Hospital Drive NW
Calgary, AB  T2N 4N1
University of Calgary, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine

Email: mark.ungrin at ucalgary.ca
http://www.ucalgary.ca/ungrinlab

office: 403.210.6203
cell: 403.561.6817
lab: 403.210.6545
fax:    403.210.8821

The information contained in this e-mail is only for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is intended. Its contents (including any attachments) are confidential and may contain privileged information. If you are not an intended recipient you must not use, disclose, disseminate, copy or print its contents. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by e-mail and delete and destroy the message and all copies.