Support for ICC profiles

John Stevenson-Hoare John.Stevenson-Hoare at ffei.co.uk
Tue Aug 12 07:02:33 EDT 2014

Apologies if this question has been asked and answered before but I could find no reference using a simple Google search of the archive.

Many of the vendor formats can or do embed an ICC profile in the file along with the scan and associated images. Can I request that the API be extended to provide access to the profile(s)?

The use of the profile in ensuring the correct display of the image is a topic that the regulatory bodies, amongst others, seem keen to explore. If this becomes a must-have for any pathology-based viewer then having OpenSlide API support becomes very important if it is to be based on this technology.

My suggestion would be to allow a profile to be available for each image, not just the scan, as for example, a different camera system might be used to capture the label or macro image which might therefore dictate a different profile for these image types. Therefore the API could have functions such as the following:

const char *const * openslide_get_associated_profile_names (openslide_t *osr)
                Get the NULL-terminated array of associated ICC profile names. Could use same naming convention as for associated images (i.e. 'label', 'macro', 'thumbnail') but include say 'scan' for the scan image. Vendor driver author could decide to include (possibly same) profile if relevant for associated images, or choose to exclude from this list if image does not have a profile.

void openslide_get_associated_profile_length (openslide_t *osr, const char *name, int64_t *len)
                Gets the length of a named associated ICC profile.

void openslide_read_associated_profile (openslide_t *osr, const char *name, uint32_t *dest)
                Copy profile bytes from named associated ICC profile to destination buffer.

What do you think?

John
[FFEI_Logo_BoxOnly[1].png]<http://www.ffei.co.uk> [FFEI wins 3rd Queens award for innovation] <http://www.ffei.co.uk/ffei-wins-third-queens-award-for-innovation/>
CONFIDENTIALITY AND DISCLAIMER NOTICE

This message and any attachment is confidential and is protected by copyright. If you are not the intended recipient, please email the sender and delete this message and any attachment from your system.

Dissemination and or copying of this email is prohibited if you are not the intended recipient. We believe, but do not warrant, that this email and any attachments are virus free. You should take full responsibility for virus checking.

No responsibility is accepted by FFEI Ltd for personal emails or emails unconnected with FFEI Limited's business.

FFEI Limited is a limited company registered in England and Wales (Registered Number: 3244452).

[Join us on Linked In]<http://www.linkedin.com/company/ffei> [Follow @FFEI_ltd] <https://twitter.com/FFEI_ltd>  [FFEI YouTube Channel] <http://www.youtube.com/user/FFEIPrintTechnology>
Registered Office: The Cube, Maylands Avenue, Hemel Hempstead, Hertfordshire, HP2 7DF, England.