VisionTek SVSLIDE format

Donald Regula regula at stanford.edu
Sun Oct 27 01:35:57 EDT 2013

Hi-
Just joined the openside-users list with information about the Sakura
VisionTek SVSLIDE format.
You may already have data about this new format.
Sakura promises an "open-source" export, but has not yet provided one.

We were able to determine (solely from examining a sample file) that
SVSLIDE is actually a SQLite database containing eXpress Persistent
Objects (XPO.)
We used a simple SQLite database browser to explore our sample file.

The database schema includes several fixed tables containing typical
metadata about the slide, annotation data, and the name of a single
table named with a GUID tied to that slide.

The unique table has three columns: [id] VARCHAR(50), [size] BIGINT,
[data] BLOB.
[id] is a unique primary key.
The first three rows of the unique table hold the [id]:
++MagicBytes
++VersionBytes
Header

There are two typical sort of rows in the unique table:
a "data" row with a unique id, containing an image tile
a paired row (of unknown significance) with the same id, suffixed with
an "#" character (e.g.- T;2048|47616;1;2;0 ) .

A typical data row:
The data column contains a standard monochrome JPEG tile of 512x512.
The size column holds the size in bytes of the data blob.

The id column is comprised of five fields separated by a semicolon[;].
[id] T;2048|47616;1;2;0
[1] T : apparently indicates "Tile"
[2] 2048|47616 : are the row-index|column-index (in pixels)
[3] 1: the pyramid level {1 is the highest resolution (e.g.- scanned
with 40x objective), other resolutions are 2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128,
with 256 being a thumbnail smaller than a single tile}
[4] 2: the monocolor {0=Red,1=Green,2=Blue)
[5] 0: unknown (always zero?)

The row- and column-index are based on the highest resolution (largest)
image, regardless of the pyramid-level (i.e.- an absolute "location" in
the image.)

I can upload a sample SVSLIDE file if requested.

Thank you and keep the good work!
-Don Regula
Stanford Pathology