DICOM supplement 145 inquiry

Alvaro Gonzalez agonzalez at kanteron.com
Sat Mar 16 13:47:49 EDT 2013

Hi there...

El 16/03/13 15:41, Mathieu Malaterre escribió:
> On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 9:16 AM, Yves Sucaet <sucaet at histogenex.com> wrote:
>> I've talked to several people here about the DICOM sup. 145 standard for
>> Digital Pathology. One problem is that there are currently no libraries or
>> viewers that can properly view this file format. Some groups (Siemens in
>> particular; eSiePath) has done some hypothetical work with the format,
>> assuming that one day files would become available. However, they don't have
>> an actual parser either.
>>
>> Part of the problem is that there are no publically DICOM sup. 145 sample
>> files available. So my question here it two-fold:
>>
>> * Does anybody have DICOM sup. 145 encoded whole slide images available and
>> would they be willing to contribute them to the OpenSlide reference
>> repository of WSI formats?
> Some people from wg26 at nema reported building some (including D.
> Clunie). I know the DCMTK team has made some effort in that direction,
> they have a converter NDPI -> DICOM/WSI. But they did not distribute
> the datasets used AFAIK.
We've been doing conversion from several WSI formats to what we
understand as a sup. 145 compatible format.  I feel a bit like in the
days of "WiFi Draft N" times, where some people whould follow what it
was suppossed to be the 'N' standard, but a last minute publication
could modify it slightly.

I feel using OME-TIFF would be redundant and would be like working
backwards, we have to get as near as possible to the standard, and not
creating just another intermediate file for it.

We use, among some other libraries, OpenSlide, to deal with all the
different formats, and then make a combination of DZ tiles, metadata,
and DICOM information to get, as I said before, something as near as
possible to what we understand in the sup. 145, but, yes, we are eager
to see some 'official' demo files for comparing our actual work.

>> * Is anybody else interested in seeing DICOM sup. 145 reading capabilities
>> added to OpenSlide (or is working on that already)?
As Mathieu says, I'm more interested on openslide writing sup.145 files
than reading them. At first, I would employ more effort on a viewer
reading/streaming sup.145 than on openslide reading them.

>> I'm willing to contribute resources to this effort, but I need to know if
>> there is actual demand (and supply of sample files for that matter) for this
>> first.
> In that case quickly register to GSoC 2013 for OpenSlide and apply as
> mentor on OpenSlide/DICOM/WSI !
In some way I would also like to contribute resources, but I'm more in
the sysadmin side of this, and our developers are busy as hell, but I
could lend a hand on some tasks.