DICOM supplement 145 inquiry

David Gutman dagutman at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 09:48:12 EDT 2013

Yves-- I am familiar at least at some high level with the Dicom standard--
although as you point out it's a standard without a way to read or write
images, and no images to even test on!

I am not sure how well the standard maps to the OMETIFF format-- but that
would likely be the easiest way to go.  I routinely convert images I scan
on either an Aperio machine or an Olympus Nanozoomer into "just a tiff"....
 so presumably we could generate a tiff and then "reformat" it so that it
meets the DICOM standard, including adding all of the necessary metadata.
I don't have much experience with the library directly (I hate editing
Java)... but since it's open source, and the properties and data model are
fairly well developed, it would be a template to hack onto the current
OMERO XML model and make it DICOM friendly...

Just a thought.

http://loci.wisc.edu/bio-formats-format/ome-tiff

On Sat, Mar 16, 2013 at 4:16 AM, Yves Sucaet <sucaet at histogenex.com> wrote:

> Hello
>
> I'm currently attending the 20th international DICOM conference in
> Bangalore, India (http://www.dicomconference.org). While most of the
> focus is on RX and topics like tele-radiology, there is at least a
> grassroot movement interested in pathology as well.
>
> I've talked to several people here about the DICOM sup. 145 standard for
> Digital Pathology. One problem is that there are currently no libraries or
> viewers that can properly view this file format. Some groups (Siemens in
> particular; eSiePath) has done some hypothetical work with the format,
> assuming that one day files would become available. However, they don't
> have an actual parser either.
>
> Part of the problem is that there are no publically DICOM sup. 145 sample
> files available. So my question here it two-fold:
>
> * Does anybody have DICOM sup. 145 encoded whole slide images available
> and would they be willing to contribute them to the OpenSlide reference
> repository of WSI formats?
> * Is anybody else interested in seeing DICOM sup. 145 reading capabilities
> added to OpenSlide (or is working on that already)?
>
> I'm willing to contribute resources to this effort, but I need to know if
> there is actual demand (and supply of sample files for that matter) for
> this first.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Yves
>

> ------------------------------
>
> WARNING: This e-mail, including any attachments, may contain CONFIDENTIAL
> INFORMATION, including privileged and/or health information. It is for the
> sole use of the intended recipients. Any unauthorized copying, disclosure,
> distribution, reproduction, use or retention of this email or the
> information in it, is strictly FORBIDDEN. If you are not an intended
> recipient, please notify the sender immediately (REPLY this e-mail) and
> permanently DELETE the related e-mail. Please be aware that this email and
> replies to it may be monitored by the sender's company for quality
> assurance, policy compliance and/or security purposes.

David A Gutman, M.D. Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Biomedical Informatics
Senior Research Scientist, Center for Comprehensive Informatics
Emory University School of Medicine