New open image format

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Jun 26 23:56:59 EDT 2013

On 06/26/2013 08:39 AM, Dr. M. Weihrauch wrote:
> Now I would like to define an image format for his company that would be
> completely open for openslide.
>
> 4. Is there already a free, open, well-documented format that we could
> tap into?

There is DICOM supplement 145:

     ftp://medical.nema.org/medical/dicom/final/sup145_ft.pdf

145 is reasonable in itself, but it's essentially a patch to an enormous
set of specifications containing a large number of options.  As such,
it'd be a pain to implement, plus there's no guarantee that your
software would interoperate with other DICOM WSI software (depending on
the options that you and they supported).  But it's the only open
specification that tries to anticipate WSI-specific issues.

I'm told that adoption of DICOM 145 has been slow to nonexistent.
Perhaps others on the list can fill in more details.

AFAICT, the only plausible alternative is to create Yet Another TIFF
Variant.  Leica SCN does this reasonably well: it uses standard TIFF
structures and metadata tags where possible, plus a custom XML document
(contained in a TIFF ImageDescription field) for metadata that doesn't
fit into standard TIFF tags.

To reduce file size, you may not want to store pixel data for blank
parts of the image.  However, TIFF doesn't anticipate sparse images.  It
may be possible to hack around this via a slight abuse of the TIFF
standard, but that's not ideal.  DICOM does support sparse images.

I recommend reading DICOM 145, the TIFF 6 specification, and TIFF
supplement 2.

> What is the format inside?   JPEG?  JPEG2000?

If you need more than 8 bits per channel, JPEG is a poor choice.  It
technically has a 12-bit mode, and some medical imaging formats use it,
but open-source support for 12-bit JPEG is abysmal.

Conversely, I'm not aware of a standardized way to use JP2K tiles in TIFF.

 From the image-compression perspective, I'm completely unqualified to
answer this.

> 2. Is it necessary to pretile the 256x256 tiles and how are they
> accessed "from the outside"?

You do need to store tiles into the slide file.  Otherwise the viewer
software would need to read an entire row in order to display a small
piece of it.  TIFF supports tiled images, so no problem there.

One caution about tiling.  Scanner hardware often produces tiles which
are overlapping and misaligned; these then need to be rendered into the
correct location by software.  Different vendors do this at different times:

- Some formats (e.g. Aperio SVS) align everything before writing the
file, so the on-disk tiles are in a regular grid.

- Some formats (e.g. Trestle, Ventana BIF) write out the unaligned tiles
and expect the viewer to do the alignment.  This has the advantage that
the original scanner data is still available if the alignment algorithms
improve later, but of course it's harder to read.  TIFF and DICOM both
require a regular tile grid, so vendors who do this with TIFF have to
abuse the format.  Also, you still have to do the alignment calculations
while writing out the file, in order to produce the downsampled levels.
  (Unless you're MIRAX, but that was a disaster.)

> 3. If there is a complete image pyramid inside - comparable to the
> deepzoom-directory structure, do we need an extra thumbnail?

It's probably not *strictly* necessary, but it'd be nice.  It allows the
writer to decide what should be shown in the thumbnail, rather than
forcing each reader to make its own thumbnailing decisions.  (For
example, how should a reader thumbnail a fluorescence image that
includes an RGB overview?)