Building openslide on Ubuntu 12.04

Benjamin Gilbert bgilbert at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Sep 3 13:57:03 EDT 2012

On 09/03/2012 12:56 AM, John Minnie wrote:
> The openslide configure script thinks it cannot find the
> OpenJPEG dependency, even though it is located in the path that I
> specify in CFLAGS. The config.log file is attached showing the configure
> failure. What baffles me is that the OpenJPEG library compiled without
> trouble, but when trying to build a trivial C program that #include's
> openjpeg.h, then it fails.

The public headers in OpenJPEG trunk have some problems:

1.  They use constructs from stdio.h without #including it.  This is the
cause of your configure error.

2.  They #include OpenJPEG's autogenerated config.h.  This will cause
redefinition warnings (or worse) in any dependent program that has its
own Autoconf-generated config.h.

I recommend sticking with a released version of OpenJPEG for now.  On
Ubuntu 12.04, you should just be able to install the libopenjpeg-dev
package.