MRXS 2.2 - test failures

Agelos Pappas agelos at smartcode.gr
Tue Nov 13 04:12:17 EST 2012

Hi Benjamin,

in the first image you can see what the slide looks like zoomed out. In
the second, I zoomed one step in and the application crashed reporting
an access violation in openslide_read_region.

I didn't notice any corrupted images or crashes using the java viewer
under windows. Is it multithreaded? I've been hunting this down the past
few days and I didn't find it at all easy to reproduce.

It happens when threads run in parallel and is more evident when the
program executes quickly. I wrote a simple desktop application that
spawns N threads, each of which instantiates a single openslide_t, all
to a specific slide file.
Every thread then walks from the top zoom level to the bottom reading
256x256 tiles. If N equals to the number of CPU cores your system has,
so that the app runs quicker, the application crashes almost immediately.
If I perform a lock in openslide_read_region calls, the application runs
fine, but slower since tiles are read in series.

I have only noticed the problem in MRXS slides, but I didn't test it
excessively using other type of slides. It does happen on public slides
available in openslide.org.

This is definitely a thread safety related bug, but I cannot tell for
sure if it lies within my application or in OpenSlide. I do know that we
only encountered this when we switched to the latest OpenSlide binaries.
This of course might very well be because the older OpenSlide version
was doing locks itself and this could be preventing the bug in our
application to show.

I will try using libjpeg and tell you what I find.

Regards
Pappas Agelos